Sunday, September 16, 2007

The First Day of School

I arrived early, in my snazzy outfit, full of eager zest. Excited students smiled and waved- "Hello! Hi! Sunsangiiimmmmm! Hi!." :) Rumors spread quickly through the school that I was a lady and small girl after small girl peeked into my shared office to confirm these reports.
Mrs. L, my sweet and very pregnant co-teacher smiled at me over her great expanse of belly. She let me into my office and tried to explain my schedule, and the change that had already been made since she's printed out my schedule fifteen minutes earlier. I had a little post-flight cold and she spoke in a quiet, low voice, out of habit or shyness, I wasn't sure which. I strained to hear her. She alluded to lesson formats that I must already know, having spoken to the former foreign teacher. I wondered if he's told me enough. I had to ask her to repeat herself, louder, please, twice. She smiled, and tried to explain it to me in different words in the same quiet tone. I couldn't quite hear her, but I believe that she apologized that her English was not better. I complimented her English. Ah, inter-cultural communication...
The day was a blur of smiling children. Another surprise: I will not, in fact get my own unshared classroom and I will be roaming to other rooms most of the time. So much for the seating plan ideas I'd prepared! Every classroom was different, and had a different vibe. In class, we mostly met each other and played name games. I stuck to basics like the date and the weather. English and shyness levels varied widely, to understate it! Being chosen as teacher's helper for the day was either their biggest honor or worst nightmare! Giving stickers to the best participants was a big hit, though. Darn it, hardly any of them had chosen English names, so I have at least 12 Jun or Jin based names!! What can I do? Bless the Soyoung's because at least that's a unique name of a former high school classmate who I'll be able to remember.
Most of my fellow teachers seemed caring and supportive. Two are young and fun and really tried to help. One used good English to back me up. And, one guy left the room entirely for half my lesson, without telling me where he was going. Um,.er, that's not supposed to happen. Then there was the scary old school guy with the hitting baton. I had heard that corporal punishment still happens in some schools, but that didn't prepare me for the "Whack!" sound of his baton hitting a boys thigh durinmg English class! Scary! I was glad I only had to be in that classroom two hours a week.

No comments: