Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wellbeing


Wellbeing is a single buzzword. What is it is a buzzword for? Here it is a buzzword (or, it might be a "portmanteau," the new word I learned recently when consulting dictionary.com, but I'm not sure it qualifies!)in Korea. The concept of wellbeing is used to advertise everything from teas to yoga centers to cafes to cosmetics to sports. As I have mentioned, in the last three months I have had some adventures in healthcare here. I am not the healthiest gal and I have had my regular, on-going issues, like my regular thyroid blood-tests crop up. I grit my teeth and smile at the scam the doctors here have pulled on the populace: one must apparently see the doctors EVERY time one needs a renewal prescription, even for something small like thyroid pills....
Wellbeing for people here is also complicated by the pollution issue. The winds blow down from China! A lot of people here get recurring breathing problems from the pollution. With me, it is has been intensified allergies, sinus infections and ear infections. I often got ear infections as a child, and they have returned since I moved here. The traditional diet here IS very healthy though, and it is my own choice (and perhaps stubborness) that I don't eat more Korean food! In my defense, I do eat a lot of the yummy mushrooms!
I have been anxious recently (Who? Me, anxious? Never! :)) about the return of my oavarian cyst issue. But, on the upside, I finally saw really good doctor at Severance Hospital yesterday. The cross town trek was worth the long subway rides to meet a quality, FEMALE, gyn. doctor. Ok, Ok, no one likes to read about GYN issues, I know. But a good doctor is hard to find in any country! Also she's a doctor who isn't test happy, always looking to do one more test to charge on the National insurance. I am tempted to go on the Dave's ESL Korea board and sing her praises, only sometimes some of the posts on Dave's ESL Korea annoy me! So, if anyone reading this is looking for a skilled doctor with perfect English, book an appointment with Dr. Kwon at The Severance Hospital International Clinic. She's wonderful!
Wellbeing is still on my mind, today, Sunday because I feel like I am again getting an ear infection.I am also dizzy and gave a bit of the flu. I shouldbn't have stayed out so late on my wild friends' birthday! :) On the up side, it was an excuse to snuggle with Steve and watch THE WIRE! (I'm obsessed).
So, I am still learning how to keep myself healthy here.
Maybe there's something to all those kimchi health claims?
Maybe.
Can I stand the stuff? Unfortunatley, no. :)

No comments: