Friday, February 22, 2008

Wii Bang-Wave of the Future!


Last night my boyfriend and I went to a "Wine and Wii party." I was unabashedly in it for the wine and good company. My boyfriend's pal, his oil industry co-worker, has more charm and better taste in wine than the stereotypical "oil industry bad guy." But in terms of the gaming? I admit I feared for the worst. I pictured hunch back, pimply pre-teens straining over Atari and Nintendo alien killing games. I think that the last time I went to a party prominently featuring electronic gaming, Duran Duran was still on the Billboard charts! I think the fact that there was gaming also had something to do with the fact that I dated the Debate Team (not all at the same time, mind you). :)
However, I must say that even I became a gradual fan of the group games on the Nintendo Wii [it's pronounced "we"-ed]. The control isn't hard to maneuvre, even for a spaz like me, the motions are very similar to playing actual sports, and when you get groups involved it's a lot of fun. The host had made funny little avatars for each of us, or "mii"s, and they bobbled along through the games with somewhat realistic motions (although they sometimes only used one arm). We had a lot of fun with doubles tennis and bowling. One on one games are less social at a party, but if you were just hangng out at home the boxng was fun, too. My Wii tennis game is also a LOT, lot better than my actual tennis game! Maybe my Dad can settle for playing Wii tennis with me-since I could never keep up with him on a real court!
Korea has PC rooms and DVD rooms, where you can rent some private space away from your multi-generational roomates, and Gary hatched the idea for the Wii gaming room.
The Wii bang-if you can buy soju on site, I see the idea taking off!

No comments: