Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mounting Protest and Rigid Contracts


How do I stay positive when my heart and the citizens around me protest?
Well, the protest against the F.T.A. with the USA continues, as you know. Many of my Korean co-workers and friends say that these demonstrations are really protests against President Lee and his cabinet full of "rich men." However, the possible importation of US beef is still a hot button issue here. Even if they can get it into the country, there has been soooo much misinformation about the health risks it could create, that no Koreans would buy it. (Maybe the USA should stick with importing American wine-I read on a government website that American wine is selling well here!) There was a large protest near City Hall this past Saturday and I heard a rumor that there will be another one on June 10th. The Korean president's popularity is at an absolute low. I myself have no problem with the freedom of assembly and free speech.
Some of the protests have given a podium to some more extreme nationalists ,though, and that can be a little annoying. A few of them are just over-the-top. A few Korean-American individuals have also claimed to speak for the "American public, " and that to me seems unwise. America is a very, very big place. Many different opinions are voiced there. What do I think? Well, I would like to go "on the record," as it were, about the rumors that American consumers have stopped buying US beef because of safety concerns. I emailed a group of Americans whom I know. I wanted to find out if there was some big anti-beef campaign at home that I had somehow missed. Some of the people I e-mailed were too busy to get back to me. However, within the group of those who did, who eat meat regularly, people did NOT report that the average American consumer has stopped purchasing US beef because of safety concerns. Of course, there are vegetarians. And people who purchase ONLY organic foods-including organic meat-all the time (due to the price of organic food in the USA, these would usually be families with more money!). But none of my friends reported a big change in American consumer behavior.
I have also heard reports of the Seoul police using force against peaceful protesters. This would be bad. However, I have not seen that with my own eyes. I got an e-mail from the US embassy last Thursday or Friday (around Korean Memorial Day) urging American citizens to stay away from the protest areas-just in case. I don't know if that is just a case of "C.Y.A," or if the embassy people perceive a real threat of brawls.
In the midst of this issue, I am trying to remain positive about my remaining months in Korea. I took a pretty hike on a mountain outside Suwon on Saturday(I'll try to post a picture later). I had fun going out with a few pals on Saturday and Sunday. But, honestly, I am a little annoyed with my contract situation. If you think Korea is the best place ever and you are 100% happy with organizational structure here, you might want to stop reading now.
Complaint corner: I am finished, 100% finished with all my teaching responsibilities by August 15th. TWO of my cousins are getting married in Canada in August. I also have tons of things to do once I get back to the USA as I myself am moving out of New England (I will eventually end up in San Francisco, but there are trips out of the country planned in there). Now my contract says I am under obligation to my school until 8/31. I understand that I signed this piece of paper. However, I was just informed that my school will be closed in the month of August. So, after my summer camp for the town, I have nothing to do. Nothing. Nada. Yet, I must stay in Korea, doing nothing, from 8/15-8/31. No one will pay for a return ticket for me before 8/31. Even though I will not be working, I must "fulfill the exact terms of my contract," and sit around in Korea from 8/15-8/31. We are not even discussing severance pay here. I requested to leave after all my work was done, and let them know I understood that the severance pay would be pro-rated. I was hoping to sneak into one of the two family weddings this summer. Nope. I can't even get the return ticket purchased for me, which is basically part of my salary,unless I stay until the last day of my contract period. Apparently, teachers in my town left early last year and "there were some problems." Gee, thanks. How is that my fault? So, I will be sitting around in my apartment from 8/15-8/31. And the town will pay a full month's rent on my apartment (which they might not have to do if I left by 8/15). How very logical... and very flexible...And very annoying!!!
A P.S.-After I wrote this post, and let my annoyance cool a little, a friend here in Korea made a valid point. It may be that my town, and not my school, is paying both my severance pay and my airline ticket. So, the school might not be able to really negotiate. The money, even though it is supposedly from my "salary," might not exist yet, or it might be being used for something else. If this is the case, I don't blame my school, and all my school staff had to do was explain that to me.

No comments: