Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Spots I liked in Vientiane






Two weeks ago, I had the good fortune to visit Laos with my friend Mairi.
...If you can stand the heat and intense humidity, the friendly people and unique blend of cultures create an exotic but relaxed mood. Everyone is welcome, from any foreign land, despite Laos' war-torn history. I began and ended my trip in the capital, Vientiane, which boasts a blend of several architectural styles. Some of my favorite moments were:
1. Two excellent meals with friends at Makphet restaurant. You'd never know it from the yummy specials (like beef tips marinated in Lao whisky), but Makphet is a non-profit organization staffed by teachers and former street children from the capital's poorest neighborhoods.
2.Taking a break from the heat at fruit market stalls along the banks of the Mekong River.
3. Stealing quiet reflection at Wat That Luang Neua, the temple to the North of Pha That Luang (the "world precious sacred stupa"). I visited early in the morning, before the heat, and the large groups of French tourists, arrived.
4. Watching local children play in the fountain near my guesthouse on a warm,and unusually dry, night.
5. Haggling a vendor down to a decent price (at least, decent for a foreigner)on some vivid textiles.
6. Munching on heavenly croissants for about forty cents at the Scandinavian Bakery! I went back several days in a row! Flaky! Buttery! Can this bakery send a baking instructor to Korea?
...And some good chats with my pal Mairi during our mid-day "siesta breaks" at Mali Namphu Guest House.

No comments: