Thursday, August 28, 2008

Temple Visit






My final week in Korea, I had an opportunity to go on an extended temple visit. Formal temple stays are generally arranged on the weekends here, and I just haven't had an entire weekend free in quite a while. So, I cobbled together some time, bent the program rules a little, and went to a visit a gorgeous temple outside Paju.
I took a train, to a cab, to a bus, to get there. But the serenity and the nature there were worth the trip. The temple stay program that they run there focuses on meditation and rest (temples offer slightly different experiences). I don't think that you have to be a Buddhist, (or a 1970s American folk singer :) ) to appreciate the positive aspects to the practice of meditation. Myself, I found it a great place for personal reflection.
I tried to let go of some of the petty irritations that cropped up as I finished up my tenure in Korea, and to just focus on the values that I want to cultivate in myself. There are 4 that I am trying to nurture. That is a private topic to me, but here I will share some of the beautiful nature that makes Korea's mountains so perfect for spiritual reflection.

No comments: