Saturday, April 5, 2008

Marvelous Meals in Seoul

Want to impress your date with a special Fusion dinner in Seoul?
Here's a list of some of my favorite Fusion and Western restaraunts, priced for special occasions only.

1. Romantic Italian:
Ahndamiro in Insadong has wonderful pasta dishes, medium sized but high quality steaks, and a cozy astmosphere. In this case, the adage that "you get what you pay for," is true.
2. Perfect Presentation:
Tribeca in Kangnam, which my boyfriend and I discovered accidentially, gets high marks for design and excellent food quality. Elements of Nouvelle Cuisine are mixed with Japanese Fusion in a fun, funky modern atmosphere. The "set menus," several of which are named for Manhattan areas, live up to the hype. Australian and American ingreadients are mixed with Korean spices, vegetables and Japanese sauces. My Australian steak served Japanese style became the best dish I've eaten in a long time. I look forward to trying the French duck breast with wasabi sometime in the future. Note: Go prepared. The meal thrilled us, but the wine and cocktails prices frightened this middle-class Boston girl a litle.
3. European Flair:
The European brew houses in Kangnam generate a lot of buzz. But for a change of pace in food, I really enjoyed Barlin in the Somerset hotel in Insadong. It may not be the perfect place to bring a petite, health conscious lady who likes to eat light on a date. But if your date actually savors a meal, the sauasages and authentic sauerkraut hit the mark. Also, this daughter of Erin loves anywhere that serves fresh, creamy mashed potatoes.
4. Comfy Brunch:
Sujis has a strong repuation for a reason-large servings of good tasting comfort food. The eggs are enjoyable, if not unique. An expat I met here swears by their pancakes, and I have to agree that they stood out. Unfortunately, it is hard to get a table on a Sunday. Also, I called in advance about a holiday-and the woman laughed at me for asking. Literally.
5. Worth the wait:
On Easter I enjoyed the Eggs Benedict at Toque Dinner Han-gaginjin (spelling?). It took the chef a little longer to stir the freshly made Bernaise sauce, but the resulting effect made my mouth water. One word: yum.
6. Dependable Thai:
Ok, maybe it won't impress a certain kind of date, those upwardly mobile, hair flipping types, but who wants to date a woman who's just after your wallet, anyway?
So, if she actually likes a relaxed, good meal-everything at Buddha's Belly in Itaewon is always good. And you can get a table.
7. Best Indian restaraunt in Seoul? Best Vietnamese eatery?
These titles are still up for grabs. In my opinion, as there are several excellent places. I'll save this decsion for another time...
I need to go eat. :)

No comments: